Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Formal One

Greetings again, I have Formally Arrived!

By arrived, I don't mean that I am now physically in Guyana, because that would just be silly. I have been here for a week now, duh!

What I mean to say is this: I believe that enough of my being is now here in this near completely foreign country. My physical self, most of my mental state, and 95% of my spiritual being have arrived.

This is important. I say this is important because in Guyana there are 6 ethnicities and three central religions whose holidays are celebrated on a national scale. Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam.

On Monday I visited my first primary school and before leaving, my head mistress said to me, "You know, you Americans are very open about your politics. We Guyanese are not." Another trainee responded with, "Well, you Guyanese are very open about your religions, and we Americans are not."

I am letting this single exchange be my introduction to all of you.

In the week that I have been here, I have realized that the question isn't necessarily WHAT God you believe in. In addition to this, most Guyanese assume that you believe in God - a concept that tugs at me since I follow no single religion, but tip my hat to the myriad that have shifted my being since I was a little boy.

So, as our first view into Guyana and the culture that has begun to wrap itself around me and soak into my sweaty skin, our question is:

What god will test me today and what god will give me rest today?

I'd like to post again soon with my specifics on life here. There is so much I want to write about and so little time after training to do so. I must head home before the taxis stop operating (it's 5:30pm and they stop at 6). Plus, the mosquitoes will start breeding soon and my legs look like a polka dot sheet with hair on it.

My best to all of you who are keeping with me. I miss you and I miss home, but not too much.

xoxo,
Christopher

...listening to the Superbad sountrack on my iPod. Lyle Workman, "you gon bus a tune deh!" (Creolese for: play some music).

1 comment:

Jules said...

So good to hear from you again! Sounds like you are settling in well :)